Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Vegan granola bars

About a week or two ago I was watching Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network. Ina made granola bars and I have not been able to stop thinking about them. A couple days ago, I took her recipe and veganized it. It worked out pretty well although I would make a change on the next go around:

I substituted butter for Earth Balance - which worked out well. I did not add all the dried fruit that her recipe calls for, I only added raisins plus chocolate chips and a bigger variety of nuts. I also subbed the honey with equal parts dark maple syrup, agave nectar and almond butter - that is what I'd change. The next time I would leave out the almond butter. It seemed to change the viscosity of the caramel and when you bit into the bars, they were crumbly. Other than that they looked good, tasted good and I was super happy to have satisfied my craving.

No comments:

Post a Comment